Sinking Valley Grange #484
History and Location
Sinking Valley Grange, the oldest Grange in Blair County, was organized on February 24, 1875. The idea of organizing a Grange evolved when a group of farmers had discussed the idea after the February 1875 election. Little time was lost in securing 20 charter members.
The members of the Sinking Valley Grange continued to meet for 13 years at the Burkett Farm until increasing membership made it necessary to secure larger quarters. The members moved to the Ellenberger home in the village of Skelp , PA in Sinking Valley. They stayed there for 42 years.
In 1928, the members of the Sinking Valley Grange decided to build their own meeting place and community center. The building was completed during the winter of 1929 and the first meeting was held there on January 2, 1930. A kitchen was added to the original building and a parking lot in 1959.
The Grange, officially named The National Grange of the Order of Patrons of Husbandry, is a social organization in the United States that encourages families to band together to promote the economic and political well-being of the community and agriculture. Below are pictures of some of the community outreach Grangers have committed their time and talents to the community.
100 Year Anniversary